SEO is very important in a website’s success. This is a technique used in order to top the rankings of search engine results. However, with the coming of the latest Pigeon algorithm, webmasters are finding it hard to top Google ranks even with the use of SEO techniques that were very effective in the past.
In order to get better rankings, webmasters must try to learn more about the latest pigeon algorithm. So here are some of the things that you really need to know in order for your website to get better rankings.
1. The Google Pigeon was initially launched last July 24, 2014. This particular update was done in order to focus on search results for local listings. This change will also affect the search results whenever Google Maps is used. So, if for example, you are trying to look for a certain chain of restaurants, Google Pigeon will try to find the branch that is closest to your current location.
2. On the first day of its release, the latest Pigeon algorithm had mixed reviews. This is because of the fact that some general websites decreased in ranking but more specific websites increased in ranking.
3. In order to rank on the top pages of Google’s search results, a website must take location and distance into consideration. This is because of the fact that the whole algorithm uses location as a key part of its strategy.
4. It is named Pigeon because pigeons used to play a huge part of communicating in the past. It is common knowledge that pigeons were used to carry letters in long distances. Also, Moses used a pigeon to fly around the earth in search of land. The latest Pigeon algorithm is based on this concept.
Again, there had been mixed reviews about this update. But, in order to know more about this algorithm, here are a few observations after its release and what you should do in order to have better rankings:
1. There was a significant decrease in local listing packs. In fact, a 12.1% result of queries in local listings on July 23 reportedly dramatically decreased to 3.3% in just 4 days. In order to fix this, you will have to run a PPC campaign to cover your losses with your website’s traffic.
2. Local rankings became more dependent on website authority, backlinks and other SEO techniques. In order to address this, you will have to update your SEO techniques and focus on content. It is also crucial to check all your backlinks. These backlinks should only come from other reputable websites.
3. There was a boost in local directory rankings like Yelp. In fact, there are even times when the entire first page of a particular search result page was composed of local directories. To get increased ranking, get listed on all the most popular local directories.
4. There were no particular observations regarding the rankings of local carousels. So, try and take advantage of your local carousel by updating your profile.
5. Focus on content. Again, blackhat SEO was never a good option. So, just stick to using white hat SEO techniques to improve your rankings.
6. There was an observed bug in the results. On its initial release, Expedia was suddenly included in the local
carousel of search results when looking for New York hotels. This algorithm also has bugs that need to be addressed. The Expedia problem was already resolved but there could be more bugs yet to be discovered. In order to improve your ranking, make sure to try and input your keywords once in a while to know more about your competition.Read More →